Homemade Ginger Ale Recipe

homemade ginger ale on the rocks
By Louise Pool
Ginger is one thing we have an abundance of here. I've always chewed on ginger if I had a headache or was feeling slightly nauseous (think Cat Cocos in August), but recently started making my own ginger ale as a more pleasant and refreshing alternative painkiller. It works better than paracetamol and will save you hours of waiting at the clinic.
Of course, aside from the medicinal effects, it's also a refreshing drink to be enjoyed anytime. This homemade version tastes a lot better than commercial ginger ale and has the advantage of using fresh ingredients and probably less sugar than the pre-bottled variety. Everybody who has tasted it is addicted...



ingredients for homemade ginger aleHomemade Ginger Ale Recipe

1 cup chopped ginger (no need to peel)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
Put all ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and let steep for for 2 hours. Strain the liquid into a jar. This ginger syrup keeps for a week at least in your fridge.

To serve (1 glass):
Lime
Soda water
2 tablespoons of ginger syrup
Put 2 tablespoons of ginger syrup in a glass, squeeze half a Key lime, add some ice and top up with soda.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but occasionally, at 5 pm I'll sit myself down on my balcony and sip my ginger ale with a shot of bourbon. Dang, maybe I'll go watch an episode of Justified (for some Kentucky authenticity) right now and pour myself a tall highball of bourbon and ginger ale. The two just go together like white on rice...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More